Friday, 21 May 2010

moss

Dear All,

I've recently faced a philosophical conundrum. (what else do you expect from someone who's been clearing tennis courts for four days?)

Here's how it started.

Upon close inspection of the tennis courts, I realized that there was a thick layer of moss covering most of the court. At first, I started to shovel it up, attacking this intruder as the ground-thief that is was. After a break, I changed my tune.

I sympathise with the moss, as it was there first. And plus, I really like moss. It reminds me of home in Victoria. But I also really enjoy Tennis. So unfortunately I had to destroy all of it, and then add insult to injury by spraying the courts with a toxic weed-killer. Such is life.

But it made me think about other intruder/i-was-here-first type relationships. We've all experienced it in the sandbox, and that kind of thing is happening on a political level all the time in the colonies. Where do ones rights begin/end? Does nature have rights?

-J

1 comment:

  1. I do not know where nature's rights begin and end, but I think this approach is somewhat proactive:

    http://emmabond.typepad.com/the_orchard_studio/2009/05/moss-carpet-in-milan.html

    http://emmabond.typepad.com/the_orchard_studio/2009/02/moss-madness.html

    Hypothetically, if it's removal from the tennis court was inevitable: Instead of throwing it in the garbage I wonder if it was possible to salvage it for various anthropocentric functions. It's like an aesthetic zoo for plants, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete